- To preserve for future generations world-wide the history of aviation in South Africa.
- To maintain an interactive museum. To display aircraft and mementoes of aviation in South Africa and provide a detailed history from the inception of aviation to the present day.
- To celebrate South African Aviation by, preserving artefacts, paying tribute to the pioneering personnel who established aviation in South Africa, and telling their story.
- To tell the story of South African Aviation from its humble beginnings by:
* Providing suitable facilities for the public at large to view the wonderful collection of aviation memorabilia and artefacts of South African aviation history that have been collected since the organisation's inception.
* Collecting, preserving and restoring artefacts relevant to South African Aviation.
- We wish to ensure that volunteer workers experience enjoyment while working at the museum.
- We undertake to make visitors feel welcome and gain an insight into the colourful history of aviation in South Africa.
- The South African Airways Museum Society is the only museum of its kind in South Africa collecting and preserving the history of the National Carrier as well as that of general civil aviation in the country.
- We believe that by supporting our organisation with its ongoing development a valuable asset will be created which will:
* Develop the South African Airways Museum Society into a World Class Museum that will afford visitors an opportunity to view the progress that aviation has made since the early days.
* Preserve the past, link it to the present and help future generations glean an insight into the evolution of aviation in South Africa.
* Provide a research facility of books, documents and film and video material relating to South African Aviation.
* Display original artefacts and material in the museum's exhibits. Where no original material is available a suitable substitute may be used.